Lydia Pesina and Martha Pezo-Marin when they will present “Hispanic Ministry: Challenges and Opportunities”.
In addressing challenges and opportunities in ministry to Hispanics, it is important to highlight that currently Hispanics constitute the largest minority group in the U.S. and the population is soaring because of immigration and high birth rates. We talk of Hispanics as a group because there are some strong common traits among the different Spanish speaking cultures ; however there are distinct differences within the Hispanic community which are shaped by family of origin, education, and acculturation.
Topics to be addressed:
- Wide spectrum of levels of acculturation and enculturation among Hispanics
- Language diversity with a given family
- Growing number of Hispanic Immigrants in all areas of the country
- Growing need for special programs: ex. Convalidation Preparation
- Need to promote and augment what is currently available in materials and resources
- Need for training and formation of all Pastoral Agents serving the Spanish speaking
- Finding creative ways to assist parishes with few Spanish speaking Pastoral Agents
PDCC Date: December 19, 2013